Robin Williams didn’t die from suicide. I only just heard the sad, sad news of Robin Williams’s death. My wife sent me a message to tell me he had died, and, when I asked her what he died from, she told me something that nobody in the news seems to be talking about.
When people die from cancer, their cause of death can be various horrible things – seizure, stroke, pneumonia – and when someone dies after battling cancer, and people ask “How did they die?”, you never hear anyone say “pulmonary embolism”, the answer is always “cancer”. A Pulmonary Embolism can be the final cause of death with some cancers, but when a friend of mine died from cancer, he died from cancer. That was it. And when I asked my wife what Robin Williams died from, she, very wisely, replied “Depression”.
The word “suicide” gives many people the impression that “it was his own decision,” or “he chose to die, whereas most people with cancer fight to live.” And, because Depression is still such a misunderstood condition, you can hardly blame people for not really understanding. Just a quick search on Twitter will show how many people have little sympathy for those who commit suicide…
But, just as a Pulmonary Embolism is a fatal symptom of cancer, suicide is a fatal symptom of Depression. Depression is an illness, not a choice of lifestyle. You can’t just “cheer up” with depression, just as you can’t choose not to have cancer. When someone commits suicide as a result of Depression, they die from Depression – an illness that kills millions each year. It is hard to know exactly how many people actually die from Depression each year because the figures and statistics only seem to show how many people die from “suicide” each year (and you don’t necessarily have to suffer Depression to commit suicide, it’s usually just implied). But considering that one person commits suicide every 14 minutes in the US alone, we clearly need to do more to battle this illness, and the stigmas that continue to surround it. Perhaps Depression might lose some its “it was his own fault” stigma, if we start focussing on the illness, rather than the symptom. Robin Williams didn’t die from suicide. He died from Depression*. It wasn’t his choice to suffer that.
FINALLY PEOPLE ARE STARTING TO TALK ABOUT WHAT DEPRESSION REALLY IS.
when you dont do your homework and your teacher forgets to check it
- Love: I want you to be happy
- Infatuation: I want you to be happy with me and me only
- Love: I care about your feelings more than mine
- Infatuation: I care about you but I always think about me first
- Love: Give me some time, I'll forgive you
- Infatuation: I HATE YOU ! NEVER TALK TO ME EVER AGAIN !
- Love: I love you because of the way your eyes crinkle when you laugh
- Infatuation: She/he has a nice body
- Love: I'll try to understand your point of view.
- Infatuation: You're so unfair !
- Love: I still get butterflies in my stomach when I see your face
- Infatuation: I'm completely over you and it only took me a couple of months
- Love: It's been 3 months, I care about you so much.
- Infatuation: I know it's only been 2 weeks, but I'm in love with you
Is this show real?
Btw, that’s Satan
He’s a soldier of heaven
He’s the Archangel Gabriel
And that’s not even the half of it.WHERE ARE ALL THE NOTES!?